Thursday, February 4, 2010

Research Topic

In AP Language and Composition, we are starting research projects. From what I understand, I have to choose a topic of interest and then find an argument within it that I can research and write an essay about. So at this point, I need to find a topic. I'm considering something in the equine veterinarian area, but I'm not sure what type of argument I could write about. Another idea is researching apologetics.

Apologetics is the art of using logic to defend Christianity. I am currently taking a class in apologetics at my church, and its really interesting. There are many arguments and different ways to discuss different controversy topics using strong evidence, with faith. Now, I know that making a logical argument means I need strong evidence and facts, but when you talk about evolution, you still require a bit of faith, faith in science. Everything we believe requires some faith, and some things require more faith than others. So if I choose this topic, my argument will not only require supportive evidence, but the persuasion that Christianity has more believable reasoning than science.



From writing just that last paragraph I realize that this will be a tough topic to present and write about. I know that I have my own beliefs, but my job wont be to present those, it will be to find out which side of the argument is more logically correct. At this point I'm seeing that there are several sides to the argument; an atheist, a theist, and an pantheist. These are all the world religions put into categories based on how they view God. Atheists view that there is no God, theists view that there is a God and he is apart of everything we do on earth. Pantheists believe that there is a God, but he simply created the earth and left us alone. So in my argument, I would have to present these views, or choose two, and then present the main supporting facts for each.

Another option for my research project, is the argument about what defines a sport. Many people are stuck to the fact that football, baseball, basketball, golf, swimming, volleyball, tennis, and track are only true sports. Thus leaving those such as bowling, figure skating, competitive horse back riding, bike riding, dance, or even marching band, are not true "sports". Well, in my opinion, when an activity requires physical activity, training, or just gives you a workout, it should be considered a sport. All of these activities are competitive and require work, so why do most people laugh when you say that that is your sport?

No comments:

Post a Comment