The other day I was walking out into the pasture to retrieve my lovely bay horse Sly, and surprisingly I found him grazing side by side with two mares. By being in this herd for only a couple days now, I had figured it would have been a few weeks for him to find his place. I guess I was wrong. He had actually taken JJ's mares, what a ladies’ man. Since JJ had lost his gals he was sadly standing alone, and making quite the fuss about it. His entire neighing had attracted the attention of the lead mare! Now the in the horse world, the lead mare is like the head cheerleader, so this was a big step for JJ, being the rookie in the herd.
So, as I was leading Sly towards the barn, his girl, Maggie, began to follow us. As soon as JJ saw this, he ditched his cheerleader and chased after her. Yet, Maggie had fallen for Sly, and completely gave JJ the cold shoulder. This made JJ really mad; he wanted Maggie and wasn't going to give up on her. He ran up to her and whinnied. She kept walking. He ran in front of her and stopped. She finally got the idea that Sly was leaving, and stayed with JJ. Yet, from there on out, Maggie has been with Sly every time I get him out of the pasture.
Saturday, September 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment