I looked into the overgrown field; it had been months since I had been here. The place looked abandoned; there were weeds covering the once nicely mown trail. All that seemed left of it was the trampled grass trail we made behind us, yet we moved on. This was land I had ridden on thousands of times before, I knew every hole and divot like the back of my hand. As we pressed forward, we found some areas mowed near the creek, so that’s where we started; simply trotting up and down that hill, over and through the creek. To my surprise as we moved on the trail had been mowed. Now the fun had begun!
We started with an easy canter; I wanted to see what kind of control I had with him. He was energetic, but still listening to me. So I was able to loosen up. We were heading around a corner at a forward canter; he perked his ears up as if asking “can I?” The long stretch of no trees was coming up. Slowly I put myself into a more forward seat, and gently, oh so gently, I nudged his sides with my lower leg. He understood. Easily he picked up speed. Faster and faster we went until the grass was almost a blur. The experience was breath taking; it felt as if I were flying.
Friday, September 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment