Sunday, December 20, 2009

Snow Racing


The other day, I went out to ride. I know crazy talk in this weather! I suppose it was about 28 degrees, so not too bad. In the winter my limit is 20 degrees, so I went and rode anyways! I called up my friend Kallie to see if she would want to ride with me, since she was house sitting at the neighbor’s house. She agreed and we met around two. I bundled up tightly and prepared for a cold, cold ride. I was really happy it wasn’t too bad; I actually began to start sweating! So did Sly.

We worked pretty hard at first; well we started out slow, since I hadn’t ridden in a while. You know, circles in the walk, trot, and canter. It was weird, because Sly felt a little off. He was not lame, but stiff I think; especially on his injured leg. But we were able to work out of it, and start trying to gain that connection with the bit again. It was tough, since he was really resisting, but gradually he got better. After a while Kallie wanted to get on and work with him. She did a great job pushing him to give his head! In the mean time, I rode her horse Casino. The cutest little polocrosse pony ever! He was very good at neck reining so I had fun pushing his buttons.

After some tough work and sweat we switched back to our own ponies and went out on a trail ride! This was my favorite part, because we went out in the snow! It was like six inches deep too and still snowing out. It was so much fun since I hadn’t ever ridden Sly in the snow before! He was so good too, I was really happy with him. We mostly walked, but we got jump over a frozen creak, that was pretty amazing. Once we got off the trail we made our way to an open hill. Now in the summer, we LOVE to gallop up this hill and the horses and remembered that. They really wanted to run, and run fast. I wasn’t completely sure it was a good idea, because I knew that there were some holes at the top that were covered in snow, so we wouldn’t be able to see them. But, you know, what the heck, Kallie and I went for it!

It was a great race. Casino and Sly started out head to head, but I couldn’t let my ex-racehorse lose to a little polo pony, so I let him go some more, and boy oh boy, did he go! There was no stopping him, even near the top, he didn’t want to stop! I tried my best to avoid the holes, and we were successful. We were also successful in winning the race. But I suppose it wasn’t much competition, since it was a short pony we were racing. Still, it was an exhilarating experience! Both our hearts were racing, as our breathing was heavy. It was amazing! Racing in the snow! Haha, definitely an experience everyone should have!

No comments:

Post a Comment