Thursday, March 18, 2010

Job Shadowing Day 1

This week, I had an amazing opportunity to job shadow at my equestrian vet clinic. The place is called River Basin and it is run by Dr. Kirk Heistercamp and Dr. Christine Wilkins. I've been trying to get an internship or part time job with River Basin since last summer, but I feel like I was being a bother with all my calls. They just didn't have a position open. So, early this year, I started a head of the game and called Dr. Christine asking for a summer job or even a job shadow when I'm not busy with school. Still, they had no openings for a part time job. I knew that this experience would be essential to my future education in equine medicine, so I didn't give up. We had a half day of school on a Monday and I decided that I needed to get some grain and anti fungus for Sly's ears. I had hoped to talk to Dr. Chris about a job of some sort, but she seemed busy with a client that day. Later on, though, my riding instructor, Robin Sumner, went in t buy some grain. When she arrived at the clinic, Dr. Chris and Dr. Kirk had finished the x-rays and were just chatting, so Robin brought up how I wanted a position with them. Apparently she put in a really good word for me. I called Dr. Chris the next week and practically begged for an opportunity of some sort, and I got one.


So, this week I was able to go in on Tuesday: day one.


Right away I got to watch the vets prepare for a castration surgery. Anything can happen once you have a horse in surgery, so they had to prepare for everything. If something went wrong, they had to be ready. I was able to help here and there with little things such as holding buckets, handing clamps, supporting the horse as the anesthesia set in ect. The surgery was fascinating. They had to hoist the young colt onto the table, and began. It was fairly simple. The vet doing most of the work, with an assistant by him side. After everything was complete, they took him off the table, and let him lay on the ground until the anesthesia wore off.

Day 1 was complete. Though, the next day was quite the event as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment