Friday, January 15, 2010

Finishing the Story


I’m not sure if I would have grown up differently if it weren’t for Emily, but I guess I’ll never know. It has simply proven to me that what we say and do has an enormous impact on people. Sometimes we can make or break a person. Our society puts so much emphasis on how other people view us that it’s impractical to live by the saying, “sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me”, because it’s just not true. Try as we might, harsh words do haunt us. Even a simple joke or false statement can affect a person more than we realize. Sometimes it’s hard to find the right words to say, sometimes encouraging words are appropriate, sometimes harsh words are required, and then other times it’s better to just say nothing at all.

-This piece was written for the little boy who had no voice. Eight years ago, this story was a living, breathing truth. Though time has helped heal the damage she made, the little boy still remains deeply scarred by it. So please, for the sake of the little boy, think before you speak.-

I choose to write this piece in fragements, since it is not my story. It was harder to write it, but it goes along with my new theme of "hearts", so I thought I'd start with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment