Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Flying Leap

It was the last division of the Annual Hunter/Jumper Show and I was entered in it. This was the class where they judged you on how well you and your horse can work together to complete the course in the least amount of time. The course consisted of eight jumps approximately two feet and six inches tall.
I was riding my gentle, giant, Ottis. He is sixteen hands tall (5.4ft), with a tank like build. Earlier that day we had competed in three other divisions and did very well, but this was the reason we were here and he knew it. It was time for Ottis to do what he loved, jump, and jump fast!
“Rider number six, you are up,” the announcer called.
My heart leaped and chills ran down my spine, wait, not me, I’m number eight. My nerves built up and the butterflies in my stomach felt like they were going to fly out of my mouth. Then I remembered something my mom had said.
“Breathe; it relaxes you and Ottis if you breathe”
So I took a few deep breaths in and out slowly, pulled my shoulders back and knew I was ready.
The announcer then called my name, “Up next is number eight, Audrianne Freeman riding Ottis.”
Quickly, yet calmly, I asked him to trot, we entered the ring and made a courtesy circle in front of the judge.
“Ding, ding” rang the bell of the judge.
I picked up the canter off we went to our first jump. Three, two, one jump! We flew over the pink flowers of the first jump, and sped around the corner toward jump number two. Again and again he took a flying leap over every jump, all I did was steer and hold on! We began heading toward the sixth jump. It was a multi-colored jump that could be a little scary; it also included a roll-back right after it, to jump seven. This meant for me, that we had to take the jump with plenty of impulsion and jump it slightly toward the left in order to make the sharp turn to seven. As we approached it I could feel him hesitating, I promptly squeezed his sides and said,
“Come on Ottis! We are almost done!”
His ears perked up and he amplified his speed.
“Three, two, one!” I shouted.
And over we when, then I pulled the left reign out and directed him around the sharp turn to the green and gray final jump.
“Good boy, Ottis!” I exclaimed. “Last one!”
Smoothly and briskly we advanced to the final obstacle, and all of the sudden we were in mid air, it felt like we were soaring. As soon as his hooves hit the ground I heard a roar of applause from the spectators.
“YEA OTTIS!” I shouted. “What a good boy!”
Immediately, I slackened the reigns to let him stretch his neck and I patted his sweaty shoulder. Obviously, he had worked a lot, but I could tell he was happy.
After, walking him around a little to allow his heartbeat to return to normal, awards were starting.
The booming voice announced, “In fifth place is Sally O’Brian! (Clap, clap), fourth place is Tara Walling! (Clap, clap), third place is Amanda Bernstein! (Clap, Clap).”
“Wow” I thought, “I either didn’t get a ribbon at all or…”
“And second place is Audrianne Freeman! (Clap, clap)”
“No way!” I thought. “My first, second place ribbon!”

No comments:

Post a Comment