Saturday, May 8, 2010

AP US History Exam

So just the other day I took the AP US History Exam…what a bore. I despise AP exams but unfortunately they are a necessary evil. Three and a half solid hours of US history. To start with, I’m not a history person, to end with; I’m not a standardized test person. This is a formula for failure.

It didn’t go as badly as I thought though. The multiple choice wasn’t too gruesome, I managed to get thought all eighty questions with time to review my answers, so that was a plus. The funny part was, when I opened the booklet and read the first question, I freaked, because I had no idea what it was! I mean, really, how horrible to start your FIRST AP test of the year with a question you have no clue about! So, I skipped it and moved on, trying to calm myself and relax, knowing that there would be other questions that I knew. And I was right. I surprisingly felt fairly confident on a majority of the questions. But, one of the last ten questions, wow, was quite a question. Due to a contract I had to sign, I can’t tell you anything about the question, but jeez, I still have no idea what that had to do with US history.

After a 10 minute break, it was essay time! A two hour long essay portion of the exam; oh joy. It started with a 15 minute reading period where we read through the documents of the DBQ and, if you had time, the free response questions. Since it has been 48 hours since the test, I’m allowed to talk about the essay questions. The DBQ was about Puritans, it was a fairly easy question asking to analyze the ways in which the religion influenced colonial New England. It was a bit hard to come up with solid evidence and back ground information, but I think my essay was at least a 4, being harsh on myself.

There were two free response essays, each with two to choose from. I ended up writing about the changing of women’s roles in society in the late 1800’s to early 1900’s and the Revolutionary war. For the women’s essay, I talked about their role as mothers and in the work force, as well as their movements in politics for women’s suffrage. All in all, I felt fairly confident about that as well. Now the essays about the revolutionary war…that’s another story. And honestly I don’t remember it well enough to describe how it went, or even what I wrote about.

No comments:

Post a Comment