Sunday, May 16, 2010

Community-ness

Through personal experiences and the standards of our community, it has become clear to me that what I have has come at a price. It may have been paid for years ago, but it is our generation’s duty to keep repaying that debt. By giving back to the community through various volunteer activities in church and school I have learned that dependability is a key trait to success. In school projects, peers depend on me to organize presentations and assure everyone is doing their part. Along with dependability, people need to be able to trust that your work is purely for the good of their organization and not of your own benefit. In the community and church, this has become evident and people know I will complete each task with the best of my ability. In the society of English Horseback riding I have developed the traits of: endurance to tough it out through hard tasks, the confidence to step up into leadership positions, and whether my team wins or loses, I need to do it with a smile on my face. Not all of life will be triumphs but if you end it with the right mind set, there is always something to be learned.

I know that even though I have tried to step out of my comfort zone, I am still weak in various areas. But, by getting friends to join clubs and activities my confidence level increases, along with my leadership abilities. I plan to continue to volunteer and participate in activities that push my abilities, such as running for Band Council officer and going to church leadership retreats to continue developing my skills.

The leadership skills that I have now and will continue to develop, I plan to give back to the community. The liberty and freedoms I have today are not available to the entire world, and I will not take them for granted. Throughout college, my leadership skills will help me to make a difference wherever I go. I will stay involved and hopefully gain a position to organize various activities for the good of our community. I can see my leadership skills impacting my decision making as well as my future employments. All in all, my goal is to help built a strong community.

No comments:

Post a Comment