Monday, April 26, 2010

Another Case of Colic

It was just another day and I was planning on riding my amazing thoroughbred. I came to the barn and got Sly. When I got into the barn, Aspen was in the cross ties and Chiara was near her. It turned out that Aspen was colicing. We didn't know how servere, but she was distended and distressed. All she wanted to do was roll. Her stomach hurt and she let the whole world know.

Claire had walked her for about half an hour, I knew walking was good but it only caused her to get dihydrated. At this time Robin wasn't home, so it was up to us to take care of her. We couldn't let her roll, no matter what we couldn't let her roll. After several attempts to get down in the cross ties, we called Robin who in turn called Dr. Chris. We still didn't know how much of an emerengcy this was, but we weren't going to take any chances.

When Robin got back, I took her temperature, respiration, and pulse. It seemed fairly average, her pulse was a bit high. Robin decided to have Dr. Chris come out to take a look. It wasn't too serous, but she sedated Aspen and pumped her stomach. Taking out anything that was in there and putting in water and oil. Water, was because, like I said, she was dihydrated. Oil was as a lubricant and marker. It would help things, food, gas, ect, pass through her dygesitve system. It was also a marker, because in eight hours we should see oil in her manure.

That was all we could do for the time being. Dr. Chris had us put Aspen in a clean stall, with only water and we left Sly and JJ in the arena with her. As far as I know, Aspen is just fine. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment