
My second day at the Equine Vet Clinic, I was ecstatic! I couldn’t wait to see what the vets had in store for me! It started out pretty slow. I was able to do basic things such as type up a coggins on a typewriter…haha that was interesting. I’ve never used a typewriter before so this was a new experience. It’s a lot like a normal keyboard but you have to be very careful to not mess up, because on this one there was no backspace! I did really well for my first try, of course I made a few minor errors such as two r’s in cedar or in the area code I typed 52402 instead of 52404. Whoops.
Megan, the secretary/technician/ person who keeps the place organized, also had me prep vaccines for the calls later on. This was really neat because I had to stick a syringe into a bottle of rhino vaccine and fill up the syringe without any air bubbles. Now, this may sound completely dorky, but I was happy to do anything they wanted me too. After filling about 7 vaccines we hung out for a bit then we were off to make calls!
Dr. Chris and Dr. Kirk had to leave before Megan and I did, because they had to pick up their new jeep. So I was able to ride with Megan and pick her brain about what it’s been like working at the clinic. She also updated me on the horse community. There are so many barns I had never heard about before, it was insane!
Our first call was an older barn run by a lady and her son. They had about 8 horses of all types and sizes. It was really neat to watch Dr. Chris interact with her clients (the people and the horses). Megan and I watched in silence as Dr. Chris worked, giving 2 annual vaccines to every horse and carrying on a simple conversation. What was especially interesting about these clients was that I knew the lady, well I had recognized her. Near the end she started talking about dog obedience. And, being a friendly intern, mentioned that my mom trains therapy dogs, and I had just recently tested with one of our dogs. It turned out that she was one of the people assisting the examiners during my testing. So that was where I had known her from! And after that we got on this long talk about my poodles and her obedience training. I think it was a great way for me to show Dr. Chris how good I am with people, even though I’m not much of a people person. All in all, it was a lot of fun.
On the ride home, Dr. Chris went over my options for college and even in high school. Of course, I need to take advanced classes and get grades blah, blah, blah. Not that what she said wasn’t important, it was extremely beneficial! It just gets boring to blog about. I learned so much that day!
Megan, the secretary/technician/ person who keeps the place organized, also had me prep vaccines for the calls later on. This was really neat because I had to stick a syringe into a bottle of rhino vaccine and fill up the syringe without any air bubbles. Now, this may sound completely dorky, but I was happy to do anything they wanted me too. After filling about 7 vaccines we hung out for a bit then we were off to make calls!
Dr. Chris and Dr. Kirk had to leave before Megan and I did, because they had to pick up their new jeep. So I was able to ride with Megan and pick her brain about what it’s been like working at the clinic. She also updated me on the horse community. There are so many barns I had never heard about before, it was insane!
Our first call was an older barn run by a lady and her son. They had about 8 horses of all types and sizes. It was really neat to watch Dr. Chris interact with her clients (the people and the horses). Megan and I watched in silence as Dr. Chris worked, giving 2 annual vaccines to every horse and carrying on a simple conversation. What was especially interesting about these clients was that I knew the lady, well I had recognized her. Near the end she started talking about dog obedience. And, being a friendly intern, mentioned that my mom trains therapy dogs, and I had just recently tested with one of our dogs. It turned out that she was one of the people assisting the examiners during my testing. So that was where I had known her from! And after that we got on this long talk about my poodles and her obedience training. I think it was a great way for me to show Dr. Chris how good I am with people, even though I’m not much of a people person. All in all, it was a lot of fun.
On the ride home, Dr. Chris went over my options for college and even in high school. Of course, I need to take advanced classes and get grades blah, blah, blah. Not that what she said wasn’t important, it was extremely beneficial! It just gets boring to blog about. I learned so much that day!

No comments:
Post a Comment