Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Jumping

Recently Timber Ridge Pony Club held a jumping clinic at Otter Creek Stables. It was an all day event that was open to anyone who wanted to learn how to jump or perfect their jumping skills, so of course I had a lesson. I requested a group lesson with my two friends Morgan and Taylor. Morgan rode her fat little pony, Hobbit while Taylor rode her quarter horse, Tuc, and as always I rode my tall, tan, and handsome thoroughbred, Sly.

It was a day full of fun, food, and cold weather! From 7:30-3:30 I helped at the clinic. Starting with my lesson and ending with clean up, what a day. But it was a great time for all. A bunch of younger riders from Silver Bits pony club came and took lessons as well. It was the older kids’ jobs to make sure their tack was safe before they got on. We also were “jump crew”, meaning that throughout the lessons we helped set up jumps or adjust them. After a while, we got hungry and a bit bored of this job so we snuck off to Morgan’s truck and cranked up the music while we ate walking tacos and scacharoos.

The most exciting part of the day, was not the freezing of our toes, or the chatting of our moms, it was the trail ride after! Once things began to slow down Morgan, Taylor and I got our ponies and went for a ride around Otter Creek. It was great, because we all rode bareback with only our bridles on. We were also in jeans, helmets and paddock boots (this is definitely not the pony club way of riding, but it was completely safe). So we found a fence, lined our ponies up, and hopped on. Basically we just walked around the driveway, because the manager of Otter Creek was super picky about STAYING OFF THE GRASS. Blah, blah, blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment