Sunday, April 25, 2010

Job Shadowing Day 4

It was another half day at school so I called Dr. Chris at River Basin Equine Veterinary Clinic and asked if I could come in to job shadow again. She was happy to let me come and told me to come around one.

I was a bit late, due to lunch with a friend, but it didn’t matter, I came right on time. They were prepping for surgery. A yearling filly was in, and she had a swollen hock. She was a feisty one, but very young and inexperienced to the world around her. Megan and I went to the stall to get her. I was merely there to open and close gates and hold doors. Once she was in the examination room, Dr. Kirk took a look at her. She had a few scratches on her head and fetlocks from trailering to the clinic, so that would have to be addressed while she was sedated. The guessed she was about 300 pounds and gave her a sedation shot. Right away she began to drop her head and could barely walk as we brought her into the surgery room. Once she was down, our work began.

Megan and I took a clipper to her cuts, so they could be cleaned and stitched if needed. The vet technician began to scrub her hock so it’d be clean for the injection. Since it was only a minor swelling Dr. Kirk simply gave the filly hock injections to help. Though the cut on her head was a bit deep, and required a stitch.

I was fascinated as I watched the vets work. Quickly and efficiently the accomplished what was set out to get done with out problem.

Once the filly began to wake up, we cleaned up and got out of the way. Leaving her in the dark padded room alone, to realize where she was and not hurt herself over it.

About and hour later Dr. Chris had to make calls. A large boarding facility needed vaccinations and coggins for eleven horses. This was my barn haha. Megan and I had to make eleven vaccines for Rhino/Flu, Tetanus, Strangles, and EWT/West Nile. That’s a lot of vaccines to draw up!

I was excited to go to my barn and show Megan my beautiful bay thoroughbred Sly. It was quite the event though. Most of the owners were out there, including Nancy and Natalie who owned Nova, Bill who owned Bell, my mom and I who own Sly, Robin, Chiara and Paige who pretty much own Marina, Maja, Jack, and Cheyenne. Working together we got all eleven horses done, with a bit of issues but not too bad. Nova was the worst, he wouldn’t even let Dr. Chris near him, and so he had to be sedated. But he’s always had the problem haha.

But Dr. Chris didn’t have a problem and after Megan left I took over in helping her get vaccines together. All in all it went really well and I enjoyed every bit of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment